All four of my children have had varying degrees of sensitive skin and eczema as babies and toddlers. The severity of reactions was different for each of them but one thing was the same for all of them–I could not, under any circumstances, use scented baby wipes. If I did, it was a matter of time before their little bottoms would break out in rashes and they’d be miserable from discomfort. While buying unscented wipes was always an option (and one that I did and still do use), there were times when finances were tight and I was looking for ways to pinch our pennies even more. That’s when I discovered that I could make my own natural baby wipes. This idea was very appealing to me from a monetary standpoint and also because I knew that being able to determine all the ingredients in my wipes would make painful skin flare ups and agitations less likely for my children.
Over the years I have tried various methods and recipes, but within the past year I’ve finally settled on my favorite combination. Here is my recipe for natural coconut oil baby wipes that are simple to make, easy to use, and completely hypoallergenic.
All you need is a few supplies and ingredients and you’re all set! it takes less than 15 minutes to whip these up. When you’re done, you’ll wonder why you ever went to the store for wipes to begin with!
I do have a preferred brand of paper towels that I use. I have experimented with other brands, but these just seem to have the best feel and don’t tear as easily once wet.
I typically order my coconut oil from Vitacost(Join now for a free $10 coupon!). I’ve found it to be affordable and with the $10 coupon you get for signing up, you can actually get a 14 or 16oz. tub for free!
I’ve started using the Daily Cleansing Foam from Mommy’s Club as the chosen soap for the recipe.
This is so easy to do and you’ll save a great deal of money once you start making your own coconut oil baby wipes!
Have you ever made your own baby wipes?
- 2 cups very hot water
- 2 tablespoons organic extra virgin coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons natural baby wash or other non agitating liquid soap
- 1 roll Kleenex Viva paper towels
- Cut your paper towel roll in half using a very sharp or electric knife.
- Set one half aside for the next time you make wipes and place the other half in a container.
- Put the hot water in a glass measuring cup or bowl.
- Add the coconut oil and baby wash to the water and stir the coconut oil melts and everything is mixed well.
- Pour mixture over the paper towels, put a lid on the container, and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Without removing the lid, flip the container over and allow to sit for another 5 minutes.
- Remove the lid to the container and check to see if the entire roll of paper towels is wet. You want them all to be damp, but not soaked. If they are sufficiently saturated, gently pull the cardboard tube in the center of the roll out and discard.
- Either leave the wipes in the container and cut a slit in the lid to allow for easy dispensing of place them in a standard wipes container.