Its spring time! Around here that means baseball season, dance recitals, park playdates, and lots of general hubbub that keeps us on the move. It seems that all too often, I end up falling behind on menu planning or get caught off guard by how quickly the day has passed. Suddenly I’m faced with the rising cries of “I’m hungry!” and I’m staring blankly in my open fridge wondering what on earth I will feed my family at the last minute.
While we do eat made from scratch meals most of the time, there are times when I am not ashamed to say that I happily reach for a quick dinner recipe. When you have a large family, this isn’t always simple or cost efficient, but one of our favorite options is Hamburger Helper. Yes, you read it right folks. We indulge in this long time pantry staple at least once a month. This past week, we had a day that included us driving back and forth to two dance classes, one baseball game, several errands, and a stop at the hospital to visit my mother in law who is recovering from surgery. By the time it was all over, it was nearly 8:30PM, the kids were “staaarrvviiingg,” and I was exhauted! I decided to reach for this old friend and whip up an easy family dinner.
I purchased my Hamburger Helper at a local supercenter where it is only $1.50 per box. Alongside this, I bought lean ground beef for $5.87 for one pound. Using the available ground beef rebate when you purchase three boxes of Hamburger Helper, I only paid $4.50 for it all! With six people with large appetites in my family, we typically prepare three full boxes for one meal.
I do tend to doctor up the recipes to suit our family’s tastes. This time wasn’t any different. I grabbed some baby spinach, rosemary, minced garlic, and some French bread to add to our meal.
The Hamburger Helper is fine as is, but I never shirk an opportunity to add more veggies to a meal and I love to keep everything in one pot! The additions to the meal didn’t add more than five minutes to the overall preparations.
I was able to whip all this up in less than 30 minutes and it was devoured by all! (Psst..just don’t tell them that green stuff is spinach!)
I stocked up on a few more flavors to have on hand for some upcoming hectic days too!
I highly encourage you to take advantage of this fantastic ground beef rebate and grab some great Hamburger Helper for your family too!
- 3 boxes Tomato Basil Penne Hamburger Helper
- 1½ cups fresh baby spinach
- 3 tsp minced garlic
- 3½ tbsp fresh rosemary
- 1 loaf of french bread
- shredded mozzarella cheese
- Brown the ground beef in a pot over medium high heat. Add the minced garlic and cook until done. Drain.
- Add the pasta, hot water, and sauce mix as directed on the Hamburger Helper box.
- Add the fresh rosemary and mix well. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium low, cover and simmer for 7 minutes.
- Add fresh spinach, cover again, and let simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Serve sprinkled with mozzarella cheese.
- Prepare French bread to your own tastes. I add a bit of garlic powder and mozzarella and melt the cheese in the oven on a low broil setting.
Latest posts by Dusty Shell (see all)
- Modern Women and Biblical Submission - April 5, 2016
- Reading with Babies: Integrating Play with Books! - March 22, 2016
- Ripley’s Aquarium of the Smokies-A Family Adventure You Won’t Forget! - September 4, 2015